Bicycle, Scooter, and Skateboard Safety
Students may ride bikes, scooters, and skateboards to school; however, the school is not responsible for lost or stolen items. Students should dismount and walk once on school grounds. A fenced bike rack is provided for students.
Care of Textbooks and Library Books
Students are responsible for all textbooks and library books issued to them during the school year. All lost or damaged books must be paid for. Any money collected is recorded by the school secretary and paid to the proper fund for replacement purposes. If a lost book is found, money paid will be refunded.
Possession of a cell phone is a privilege that may be forfeited by any student who uses the phone inappropriately. The school will not be responsible for preventing theft, loss of or damage to cell phones brought to school. In addition, if the phone becomes a distraction it will be taken away for the day (like all items causing distractions) and given back to the student at the end of the day. Parents/Guardians may be asked to pick up the cell phone.
Checking Students In and Out of School
To ensure the safety of our students, no child will be allowed to leave the campus once school has started without a parent/guardian or a designee of the parent. It is preferred to have written permission to release your child to anyone other than his or her legal guardian.
Sunrise desires that all students receive the very best education and learning experience possible. This can best be achieved by student’s punctual arrival to school, consistent attendance and an instructional atmosphere without interruptions. In order to facilitate this process, Sunrise abides by the following procedures:
- School hour phone messages will be written up and delivered to teachers or students before school, at lunchtime, or at the end of the school day. Phone calls are transferred to voicemail so the teacher may return the call during non-instructional times.
- Parents/Guardians pre-arrange meetings with the teachers before or after school. All visitors must check in at the front office even, after school has been dismissed. Please do not enter the building through the east or south doors when students are leaving after school.
- Forgotten lunches or homework assignments delivered to the office will be placed on the Watch D.O.G.S. table.
- Make-up homework can be given if the student misses three or more days. Teachers will be pre-notified by the parent/guardian in the morning for after school pick-up.
Cleats are not allowed to be worn in the school.
Students shall dress in a manner that shows respect for the educational environment and is befitting the day’s activities. Students’ clothing and jewelry must not present a health or safety hazard or distraction, which would disrupt the educational mission. Disruption is defined as reactions by other individuals to the clothing or adornment, which causes the teacher/administrator to lose the attention of the students, to modify or cease instructional activities, or to deal with student confrontations or complaints.
- Items that disrupt the educational mission will not be allowed. All personal items including clothing shall be free of writing, pictures, or any other insignias, which are crude, vulgar, profane, violent, or sexually suggestive.
- Items which bear advertising, promotions and likeness of tobacco, alcohol, or drugs are contrary to the educational mission and will not be allowed.
- All students shall maintain their hair in a clean, well-groomed manner. Any hairstyle that draws undue attention or disrupts the learning environment will not be allowed.
- All students shall wear clean clothing. Any clothing, jewelry, or accessories that draw undue attention, disrupt the learning environment, or pose a health or safety risk will not be allowed.
- Students shall not wear clothes that are mutilated, cut off, or immodest, e.g., short shorts, mini skirts, bare midriffs, halter-tops, spaghetti straps, tank shirts, or similar clothing. Clothing shall cover the midriff, underwear, backs and cleavage at all times. Skirts, dresses and shorts must be at least mid-thigh length or longer when seated.
- Hats of any kind are not allowed within the building except as part of an approved activity, or for religious or medical purposes. Hats may be worn outside at recess.
- School officials may require students to wear certain types of clothing for health or safety reasons in connection with certain specialized activities.
- Gang related clothing, colors and paraphernalia shall not be allowed in schools or activities. School officials shall determine what constitutes “gang” clothing, colors, and paraphernalia after consulting law enforcement agencies as needed.
- Shoes shall be worn at all times to ensure personal safety and hygiene.
Consequences for Dress Code Violations
Students referred to the office for dress code violations will be given the option of calling home for a change of clothes or changing into clothing provided by the school.
Students and parents/guardians assume the risk if a student brings an electronic device to school. The school will not be responsible for lost or stolen electronic device. Any use of an electronic device that exploits personal information, disrupts the educational process, invades personal privacy or compromises the integrity of educational programs is prohibited.
Food, Treats, and Snacks
Candy, cookies, cupcakes, and other packaged treats are welcome only for celebrating special occasions. All food items must be store bought. Please let teachers know beforehand if you are planning to bring in a special treat, In addition, we are committed to healthy lifestyles and encourage parents/guardians to provide nonfood items for celebrating special occasions.
Lost and Found
Please write your student’s name in clothing and accessories with a permanent marker. Students are encouraged to be responsible for their possessions. Students should check the Lost and Found in the hallway near the cafeteria for clothing and lunchboxes. Lost and found for small items (rings, glasses, watches, etc.) is in the office. At regular intervals throughout the year, all unclaimed items are donated to charity.
If you anticipate a move to another school or district, please inform the office as soon as possible so that we may assist with making the transition as smooth as possible for your child.
School Day Appointments
If your child has an appointment during school hours, please sign him/her out in the office before leaving.